The Royal Norfolk Show 2022 will have over 200 equine classes taking place over the two-days of the show.
In 2022, there will be three major Championships: The Horse of the Year Show Price Family Supreme In-Hand Championship, The Stuart Group Royal Norfolk In-Hand Supreme Championship and The Westover Vets Royal Norfolk Ridden Supreme Championship.
There will also be 50 other championship classes and almost 40 special classes run throughout the equine sections. The enormously popular Horse of the Year Show (HOYS) qualifiers attract competitors from across the country, which place The Royal Norfolk show at the forefront of the showing calendar.
The equine prize schedule is your complete guide to all the equine classes at the Royal Norfolk Show for all sections – Heavy Horses, Light Horses, Private Driving, Eventers Grand Prix, Showjumping and the Farrier Competition. The Schedule will include entry fees, prizes and awards, along with all the rules and regulations from the Breed Societies and Organising Societies.
Equine Enquiries to:
EQUINE COMPETITOR PACKS will be sent via email, to the email address that was used to make the entries. Further information is available in the Equine Prize Schedule.
Below is the latest list of classes and competitions for the 2022 show.
LIGHT HORSE IN HAND & RIDDEN CLASSES
Over 120 LIGHT HORSE IN HAND & RIDDEN CLASSES
NEW FOR 2022 – BSHA Rising Stars, Concours d’Elegance, Local Working Hunter Horse/Pony, Miniature Shetland, Mountain & Moorland Unaffiliated Ridden, Partbred In Hand & Ridden, Retraining of Racehorses Novice & Amateur Classes.
- Horse of the Year Show In Hand Supreme Championship Qualifier (HOYS)
- The Stuart Group In Hand Royal Norfolk Supreme Championship
- The Westover Vets Ridden Royal Norfolk Supreme Championship
- Cobs, including Maxicobs – Ridden (HOYS)
- Concours d’Elegance – In Hand & Ridden
- Donkey – In Hand (Also see: Donkey Driving class in Private Driving section)
- Foreign & Rare Native Breeds – In Hand & Ridden
- Hacks & Riding Horses – In Hand
- Haflingers – In Hand & Ridden
- Hunters – Ridden
- Irish Draught – In Hand & Ridden
- Light Horse – In Hand
- Mountain & Moorland – First Ridden & Lead Rein (HOYS)
- Mountain & Moorland – In Hand (NPS Silver Medal)
- Mountain & Moorland – Foals
- Mountain & Moorland – Ridden (HOYS)
- Mountain & Moorland – Junior Ridden (HOYS)
- Partbred – In Hand & Ridden
- Rescue Horses – In Hand & Ridden
- Retraining of Racehorses – Novice, Amateur, Open & Challenge (RoR)
- Riding Horses – Ridden
- Riding Ponies – In Hand (NPS Silver Medal)
- Show Hunter Ponies – In Hand (NPS Silver Medal)
- Skewbald and Piebald – In Hand & Ridden (BSPA WCC)
- Sport Horse – In Hand & Ridden
- Traditional Gypsy Cobs – In Hand & Ridden
- Veteran Horses – In Hand & Ridden (VHS Direct qualifier)
- Working Hunter – Open (HOYS)
- Working Hunter – Novice
- Working Hunter – Local
- HOYS qualifiers
- BSPA World Championship of Colour qualifiers
- BSPS qualifiers
- BSHA Championships
- Connemara Breed Show qualifier
- Donkey Breed Society (DBS) qualifiers
- North of England Show qualifiers
- NPS qualifiers
- PONIES (UK) qualifiers
- RoR qualifiers
- SHB(GB) qualifier
- The Showing Register (TSR) qualifiers throughout schedule
- VHS qualifiers (Veterans)
HEAVY HORSE CLASSES
HEAVY HORSE CLASSES are hugely popular with classes for all four main breeds including Shire, Suffolk, Clydesdale and Percheron.
Not forgetting the Best Foot classes and Young and Novice Handlers classes for teenagers and young adults encouraging showing stars of the future.
- Shires – Including Best Foot & Young Handler – SHIRE HORSE OF THE YEAR SHOW QUALIFIER
- Suffolks – Including Best Foot – SUFFOLK SUPREME HORSE CHAMPIONSHIP
- Percherons – Including Best Foot
- Clydesdale – Including Best Foot
- Suffolk/Percheron/Clydesdale Young Handler –ROYAL HIGHLAND SHOW qualifier for Clydesdale
- Novice Handler
- Ridden Heavy Horse Class for any Pure Bred Heavy Horse – HOYS QUALIFIER & EQUIFEST
- Suffolk & Percheron Stallions
- Heavy Horses in Harness – Classes split into Working (Neatest & Cleanest) and Show (Decorated) – All classes for all breeds on Wednesday only
- Heavy Horse Turnouts – Team, Pairs and Singles
- Two Wheeled Cart Class for Single Turnout
- Implement Class for any Pure Bred Heavy Horse
- Best Foot Classes NOTE: Please enter pre-show (NO charge)
- Young Handler Classes NOTE: Please enter pre-show (NO charge)
- SHIRE Horse of the Year HOYS Championship
- SUFFOLK – SUFFOLK SUPREME Horse Championship
- RIDDEN Heavy Horse – HOYS & EQUIFEST Kilmannan Championship
- The Westover Vets Ridden Royal Norfolk Supreme Championship (All four breeds)
- CLYDESDALE YOUNG HANDLER – ROYAL HIGHLAND SHOW qualifier
PRIVATE DRIVING CLASSES
NEW M&M / WELSH DRIVING CLASS. Also including Donkey Driving, Exercise Vehicle classes and the Concours d’Elegance.
- M&M / Welsh Driving class
- Family Produced Turnouts
- Non-Hackney, Hackney and Multiples
- Concours D’Elegance
- Vintage Vehicles – Two and Four wheeled vehicle classes
- Exercise Vehicles
- Donkey Driving
- CHAMPIONSHIP prize money – Champion (£150) & Reserve Champion (£50)
- HOYS Harness Horse of the Year Show Qualifier
- Victoria Foods Private Driving Championship
SHOW JUMPING COMPETITIONS
Showjumping is a highlight of the Royal Norfolk Show, with headline classes such as the Prestigious International Stairway, Norfolk Area Trial and thrilling Ride & Drive Challenge dominating the Grand Ring, and a more comprehensive schedule from Newcomers upwards taking place in the Light Horse Ring.
NEW FOR 2022 – Senior Newcomers and Junior Academy Team Showjumping Competition. SEE ALSO NEW EVENTERS GRAND PRIX SECTION.
- Grades A&B Competition 1.40m – Grand Ring
- Norfolk Area Trial 1.50m – Grand Ring
- Ride & Drive Challenge 1.35m – Grand Ring
- 1.25m Senior Open Competition – Light Horse Ring
- British Horse Feeds HOYS Grade C Championship Qualifier 1.35m – Light Horse Ring
- Senior Newcomers 1.10m – Light Horse Ring
- Equitop GLME Senior Foxhunter 1.20m – Light Horse Ring
- Junior Academy Team Competition 80cm to 1.10m – Light Horse Ring
- 1.20m Senior Open Two-Phase Competition – Grand Ring
- International Stairway League 1.50m – Grand Ring
***NEW*** EVENTERS GRAND PRIX
NEW FOR 2022 – This exciting competition will see competitors jump a course of show jumps and rustic fences not to exceed 90cm, culminating with an optional joker fence set 15cm higher than the rest of the course. The competition has kindly been sponsored by Jumps2go – www.jumps2go.co.uk.
- 1st – £150, Rug, Jacket & Sash
- 2nd – £100, Jacket & Sash
- 3rd – £50
- Rosettes 1st to 10th
- Jumps2go Rosette to every competitor forward
- Special Prize to highest placed competitor residing in Norfolk
- Special Prize to highest placed Pony Club Member
- Special Prize to highest placed British Riding Club Member
- Special Prize to highest placed Mountain & Moorland Pony
- Special Prize to highest placed Former Racehorse
ENTRIES WILL BE LIMITED
The FARRIER COMPETITION returns again with 6 different types of shoeing classes for the experts and also apprentice shoemakers.
- Sport Horse Shoeing
- Roadster Shoeing
- Apprentice Therapeutic
- Qualified Therapeutic
- 1st & 2nd Year Apprentice Shoemaking
- 3rd & 4th Year Apprentice Shoemaking.